Sydney, August 23, 2015
Suzy Walsham, reigning VWC Champion and Mark Bourne, 2013 champion, proved they’re always on top of the world and in the face of 800 competitors, took the win in the 5th leg of the circuit in Sydney, Australia.
The Sydney Tower Stair Challenge, climbs 1,504 steps up to the Observation Deck of the Sydney Tower Eye, where Bourne and Walsham closed in 7’11” and 8’26” respectively. The standing course records remain, set by Paul Crake in 6’52” (2002) and Suzy Walsham in 8’24” (2013).
The pair from Australia returned to compete in the most exciting year yet, with the event now officially part of the international Vertical World Circuit, which sees elite stair climbers travel the globe to compete in some of the most iconic skyscrapers. Besides the glory that comes with the win, they were both also awarded a trip to the Vertical World Circuit Grand Finale in Hong Kong on December 6 at the SHKP Vertical Run for Charity: Race to Hong Kong ICC.
From elite stair runners through to superhero themed walkers, the event saw participants climb 250 metres above the streets of Sydney to raise money for Giant Steps, a charity that provides support for children with Autism and their families. The start line included celebrities Steve “The Commando” Willis, Miss Universe Australia 2015 Monika Radulovic, finalists from Miss World Australia, as well as 2014 Vertical World Circuit Champions Mark Bourne and Suzy Walsham, all taking on the challenge for a good cause.
General Manager of the Sydney Tower Eye, Ian Wood, said the event was a running success and a great opportunity for the public to get behind a worthwhile cause.
“We feel privileged to be able to host such a unique charity event and it was amazing to see hundreds of Sydneysiders get involved and tackle all 1,504 steps up to the top of the Observation Deck of the Sydney Tower Eye,” said Mr Wood.
“Today has been a huge success and the burn of those steps is well worth it because not only are participants rewarded with a fantastic 360 degree view of Sydney at the end of the climb, but they are also helping raise money in the process for such an important charity like Giant Steps.”
With the current fundraising tally of the 2015 Sydney Tower Stair Challenge at $136,000, all monies raised will go directly to the development of educational programs and technologies that will directly support the students of Giant Steps and their families.
The Vertical World Circuit now moves on to Beijing, where yet again, the world’s top vertical runners will join more than 1,000 runners in the China World Summit Wing Hotel Vertical Run on September 19.
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Sydney
- ‘SHKP Vertical Run for Charity’ - new developments and benefits presented
- Victory at VertiGo for Lobodzinski & Svabikova
- Lobodzinski & Walsham win Taipei 101
- VWC heads for Taipei 101
- Majcen and Reid Climb to Victory at Hanoi Vertical Run
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Hanoi Exhibition Race
- Top skyscraper racers ascend London’s Tower 42
- It's a Vertical Rush up Tower 42
- Riedl and Walsham winners in New York
- 2015 Vertical World Circuit announced
- Walsham & Lobodzinski world champions at Hong Kong final
- Skyscraper racers head for VWC grand finale
- Walsham and Bourne fly in Shanghai
- Victory goes to Lobodzinski and Hahner in Brazil's Corrida Vertical
- Western China’s tallest tower race - Dold and Xue winners
- Walsham and Lobodzinski winners in Beijing
- Beijing is back - China World Summit Wing
- Men’s record falls in Benidorm - siblings Llorens winners
- VertiGO victory for Walsham and Lobodzinski - records tumble
- Ready for VertiGO?
- Taipei 101 – Bourne and Belotti repeat last year’s win
- VWC heads for Taipei
- Walsham takes fifth NY win - Norwegian Ludvigsen wins men's title
- 2014 VWC announced
- Australians Walsham and Bourne are VWC World Champions
- Countdown to VWC final on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne winners in Singapore
- Vertical World Circuit heads for Singapore
- VWC final announced on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- World Champions win 2nd Hanoi Vertical Run
- Star-studded Hanoi Vertical Run
- Dold and Walsham triumph on Beijing’s tallest tower
- World class line-up for Beijing’s first tower race
- Bourne and Belotti winners at Taipei
- Walsham and Lobodzinski Basel winners
- VWC - New York victory is all-Australian
- New York kicks off 2013 Vertical World Circuit