Hanoi, Vietnam, 18th April 2015 - Rolf Majcen of Austria and Australia's Cindy Reid won the third edition of the Hanoi Vertical Run on Saturday, setting the overall fastest time for their categories up Landmark 72 – Vietnam’s tallest building.
Winning the event is Majcen’s first outright victory in Hanoi. The Austrian finished in a time of 10 minutes and 38 seconds to take home the overall title. Majcen is a prolific tower-racer, having competed in more than 100 races worldwide.
‘This is my third time in Vietnam, so I am very happy to have come here and have won this great race in such a historic city. The highlight is the fantastic view over Hanoi when reaching the finish line. I hope to come back next year to defend my title.’ Majcen said.
Koos Hagg of USA was placed second, clocking 12 minutes and 39 seconds. Hugo Page of Canada came third in 13 minutes and 11 seconds.
In the women’s division, Australia’s Cindy Reid climbed to her first win of the year, finishing in 14 minutes 33 seconds, beating USA’s Samantha Young by 53 seconds.
“Having trained so hard for this race, it is the sweetest victory.” she said. “I had to dig deep today to win. To be crowned the Hanoi Vertical Run champion is a great honour.”
Jacqueline Schmid of Switzerland finished third in 16 minutes 36 seconds.
Guest-of-Honour, Maria-Helene Fuch, Deputy Head of Mission of the Austrian Embassy in Hanoi, was in attendance to witness the event.
Vietnam’s only stair climbing race was selected as an Exhibition Race on the 2015 Vertical World Circuit (VWC), the world’s premier skyscraper racing circuit, uniting some of the world’s most iconic skyscraper races, including the Empire State Building Run-Up in New York City.
As an exhibition race, no points were awarded for the VWC final ranking.
The Taipei 101 in Taipei will be the next race on the VWC circuit on May 3 where the world's top runners will compete in the tallest tower on the circuit: 91 floors and 2,046 steps.
Hanoi Vertical Run Race Results:
1: Rolf Majcen (AUT) – 10’38”
2: Koos Hagg (USA) - 12’39”
3: Hugo Page (CAN) – 13’01”
1: Cindy Reid (AUS) – 14’33”
2: Samantha Young (USA) – 15’26”
3: Jacqueline Schmid (SUI) – 16’36”
Event Website: www.runhanoi.com
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Hanoi Exhibition Race
- Top skyscraper racers ascend London’s Tower 42
- It's a Vertical Rush up Tower 42
- Riedl and Walsham winners in New York
- 2015 Vertical World Circuit announced
- Walsham & Lobodzinski world champions at Hong Kong final
- Skyscraper racers head for VWC grand finale
- Walsham and Bourne fly in Shanghai
- Victory goes to Lobodzinski and Hahner in Brazil's Corrida Vertical
- Western China’s tallest tower race - Dold and Xue winners
- Walsham and Lobodzinski winners in Beijing
- Beijing is back - China World Summit Wing
- Men’s record falls in Benidorm - siblings Llorens winners
- VertiGO victory for Walsham and Lobodzinski - records tumble
- Ready for VertiGO?
- Taipei 101 – Bourne and Belotti repeat last year’s win
- VWC heads for Taipei
- Walsham takes fifth NY win - Norwegian Ludvigsen wins men's title
- 2014 VWC announced
- Australians Walsham and Bourne are VWC World Champions
- Countdown to VWC final on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne winners in Singapore
- Vertical World Circuit heads for Singapore
- VWC final announced on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- World Champions win 2nd Hanoi Vertical Run
- Star-studded Hanoi Vertical Run
- Dold and Walsham triumph on Beijing’s tallest tower
- World class line-up for Beijing’s first tower race
- Bourne and Belotti winners at Taipei
- Walsham and Lobodzinski Basel winners
- VWC - New York victory is all-Australian
- New York kicks off 2013 Vertical World Circuit