Siblings Angel and Rosi Llorens win the fourth stop of the Vertical World Circuit in Spain, at the Subida Gran Bali tower Saturday.
After several attempts over the years up the 924 steps and 52 floors, Spaniard Angel Llorens finally smashes the long standing record held by Australian Paul Crake, to close 2 seconds faster in 4’33”. His sister, Rosi Llorens, won the women’s category in 6’34”, 26 seconds off the standing record time.
The 11th edition of the event saw Spaniard Ignacio Cardona, take second place in 4’46” placing him behind Llorens, now on the third rung of the VWC ranking. Pedro Merlos was third in 5’00”. Just one second later in fourth place, Belgian Omar Bekkali, takes over the VWC ranking lead from Poland’s Piotr Lobodzinski, having placed in all four of the season’s races to date.
In the women’s field, Spaniard Esther Martinez was second, followed by Italy’s Cristina Bonacina who,after her Paris placing, now ranks second. Three-time VWC World Champion Suzy Walsham still in the lead.
After launching with New York’s Empire State Building Run-Up in February, followed by Tapei and Paris, Beijing is next on the calendar, celebrating the second year of the China World Summit Wing Hotel Vertical Run on September 7th.
Still in China, just a week later a brand new VWC Exhibition Race will take place in Chongqing, with The Westin Chongqing Liberation Square Vertical Run on September 13.
The VWC ranking is based on the best results of four out of eight races. The World Champions will be crowned in Hong Kong which once again will host the grand finale at the SHKP Vertical Run: Race to ICC-100 on December 7.
Follow us for news and updates on Facebook
- VertiGO victory for Walsham and Lobodzinski - records tumble
- Ready for VertiGO?
- Taipei 101 – Bourne and Belotti repeat last year’s win
- VWC heads for Taipei
- Walsham takes fifth NY win - Norwegian Ludvigsen wins men's title
- 2014 VWC announced
- Australians Walsham and Bourne are VWC World Champions
- Countdown to VWC final on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne winners in Singapore
- Vertical World Circuit heads for Singapore
- VWC final announced on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- World Champions win 2nd Hanoi Vertical Run
- Star-studded Hanoi Vertical Run
- Dold and Walsham triumph on Beijing’s tallest tower
- World class line-up for Beijing’s first tower race
- Bourne and Belotti winners at Taipei
- Walsham and Lobodzinski Basel winners
- VWC - New York victory is all-Australian
- New York kicks off 2013 Vertical World Circuit