Vertical World Circuit superstars, Suzy Walsham and Piotr Lobodzinski are crowned champions at the Grand Finale of the eight-race tour on Hong Kong’s highest building, the iconic International Commerce Centre. The two reigning champions were unbeatable after scoring five out of the necessary four wins of the eight-race circuit.
Australians Darren Wilson and Suzy Walsham were the race winners however, crossing the line in 11’52” and 14’14” respectively. The standing records were set in 2014 by Wilson 11’57” and Walsham in 13’48”.
Today, 1,600 runners from 36 countries toed the line at the “SHKP Vertical Run for Charity: Race to Hong Kong ICC”, racing up the building’s 2,120 steps and 82 race floors, the highest on the circuit.
Unquestionably the queen of vertical running, Suzy Walsham started racing towers in 2006. She’s racked up 62 races – and won 52 of them! Commenting on today’s race she said, “Obviously I’m thrilled. I had an interrupted preparation, but to win in Hong Kong for the third time and the Vertical World Circuit four times in a row is thrilling. I’ve done a lot of races since 2012 and it’s something I’ve focussed on these last years. Who knows, maybe next year it’ll be number five!”
Lobodzinski stated, “It was really nice to win the title again. This year has been incredible for me – so many races, so many wins. Today just third place for me, but I’ll be back next year. I’m very happy to win the Vertical World Circuit.”
HKD $ 100,000 prize money was awarded to the top three men’s and women’s ranked athletes, as well as HKD $ 60,000 race prize money.
Teams and individual local runners also raced up the 484m tower, the proceeds of which will go to child and youth services charities.
Sun Hung Kai Properties, a leading property developer in Hong Kong, opened a new chapter in the city’s stair-climbing history when it staged the first vertical run 2012 at their landmark International Commerce Centre, Hong Kong’s tallest building.
For the third consecutive year, SHKP has partnered with the Vertical World Circuit. The entries, which have increased by more than 500%, underline the success of the collaboration and the growing popularity of skyscraper racing. Some 93% of the runners were local residents and men outnumbered women four to one. Different race categories in addition to the Elite included: Individual, Team Relay and Fun Climb. The youngest was ten and the oldest sixty-eight!
Doing the honours on stage was Patrick Chan, SHKP Executive Director & Chief Financial Officer and, representing International Skyrunning Federation which sanctions the Vertical World Circuit, was Marino Giacometti, ISF President, who presented the trophies to the champions. Giacometti, together with SHKP executives, also took part in the challenge.
The Vertical World Circuit has been in existence since 2009 and this year counted eight races stretching across the globe from New York to London, from Tapei to Paris and Sydney before returning to Asia for Beijing and the SHKP Shanghai and Hong Kong races.
Race website: www.shkpverticalrun.com
2015 VWC final ranking (updating)
Provisional race results
1. Darren Wilson (AUS) - 11’52”
2. Mark Bourne (AUS) - 12’00”
3. Piotr Lobodzinski (POL) - 12’06”
1. Suzy Walsham (AUS) - 14’14”
2. Gan Xue (CHN) - 16’18”
3. Lenka Svabikova (CZE) - 16’45”
2015 Vertical World Circuit – provisional final ranking
1. Piotr Lobodzinski (POL) - 400 points
2. Mark Bourne (AUS) - 381.6 points
3. Emanuele Manzi (ITA) - 320.4 points
1. Suzy Walsham (AUS) - 420 points
2. Lenka Svabikova (CZE) - 365.6 points
3. Cristina Bonacina (ITA) - 321.6 points
- Hong Kong hosts Vertical World Circuit Grand Finale
- Records all round at Shanghai semi finals
- Shanghai – anticipation mounts for Vertical World Circuit semi finals
- Lobodzinski & Walsham winners at Beijing
- Beijing is back! Lobodzinski and Walsham head the line-up
- It's a home win for Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne in Australia
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Sydney
- ‘SHKP Vertical Run for Charity’ - new developments and benefits presented
- Victory at VertiGo for Lobodzinski & Svabikova
- Lobodzinski & Walsham win Taipei 101
- VWC heads for Taipei 101
- Majcen and Reid Climb to Victory at Hanoi Vertical Run
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Hanoi Exhibition Race
- Top skyscraper racers ascend London’s Tower 42
- It's a Vertical Rush up Tower 42
- Riedl and Walsham winners in New York
- 2015 Vertical World Circuit announced
- Walsham & Lobodzinski world champions at Hong Kong final
- Skyscraper racers head for VWC grand finale
- Walsham and Bourne fly in Shanghai
- Victory goes to Lobodzinski and Hahner in Brazil's Corrida Vertical
- Western China’s tallest tower race - Dold and Xue winners
- Walsham and Lobodzinski winners in Beijing
- Beijing is back - China World Summit Wing
- Men’s record falls in Benidorm - siblings Llorens winners
- VertiGO victory for Walsham and Lobodzinski - records tumble
- Ready for VertiGO?
- Taipei 101 – Bourne and Belotti repeat last year’s win
- VWC heads for Taipei
- Walsham takes fifth NY win - Norwegian Ludvigsen wins men's title
- 2014 VWC announced
- Australians Walsham and Bourne are VWC World Champions
- Countdown to VWC final on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne winners in Singapore
- Vertical World Circuit heads for Singapore
- VWC final announced on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- World Champions win 2nd Hanoi Vertical Run
- Star-studded Hanoi Vertical Run
- Dold and Walsham triumph on Beijing’s tallest tower
- World class line-up for Beijing’s first tower race
- Bourne and Belotti winners at Taipei
- Walsham and Lobodzinski Basel winners
- VWC - New York victory is all-Australian
- New York kicks off 2013 Vertical World Circuit