China’s capital city Beijing hosted for the third time round a race up the city’s tallest skyscraper: 82 floors and 2,041 steps at the China World Summit Wing Hotel Vertical Run with a new men’s record.
The 6th leg of the Vertical World Circuit took place on September 19 with 800 runners from 20 countries competing. The winners were Piotr Lobodzinski from Poland and Australia’s Suzy Walsham, the 2014 VWC Champions.
For Lobodzinski it was a new course record, 9’53”, two seconds faster than the previous record held by German Thomas Dold. Walsham, who won the race for the third consecutive time, crossed the finish line in 11’52”. She retains the record set in 2013 of 11’46”.
Second man at the summit was Australia’s Mark Bourne in 10’07” and China’s Ma Zhengtong in 11’08”, third.
It was no easy feat for Lobodzinski however. “It was a really tough race for me because Mark (Bourne) was behind me until the 50th or 60th floor, but then the gap between us became bigger and bigger. I was really exhausted at the finish line, which means that means I gave my 100% today. It's really nice race and nice weather; I can see all of Beijing.”
In the women’s field, China’s Xue Gan and Fan Feng Juan, placed second and third respectively in 12’32” and 13’07”.
Winner Suzy Walsham commented, “I'm thrilled to win this for the third time. It's my fourth win on the circuit this year, so it really cements this year for me and I really hope to be back again next year. It's a great building, a tough tower, and it's great to be challenged.”
Sino-Ocean Land, developer of The CBD’s Private Palace, is the title sponsor of the 2015 China World Summit Wing Hotel Vertical Run.
All charitable proceeds raised from the China World Summit Wing Vertical Run will benefit the China Charities Aid Foundation for Children.
“We are pleased to be bringing the Vertical World Circuit back to Beijing and look forward to continuing to be a part of the circuit next year and into the future,” said David Shin, race director and International Skyrunning Federation representative.
The China World Summit Wing Hotel Vertical Run is the sixth race in the eight-race circuit which stretches across the world from America to the heart of Europe, Oceania and Asia. The VWC world champion titles are based on the score of four out of eight races, with 20% extra points awarded at the final.
After New York, London, Taipei, Paris and Sydney, the Vertical World Circuit will continue in Asia, heading for Shanghai on October 25 and the grand finale in Hong Kong on December 6 at the SHKP Vertical Run for Charity: Race to Hong Kong ICC where the World Champions will be crowned and awarded the VWC final 100,000 HKD prize.
1. Piotr Lobodzinski (POL): 09’53”
2. Mark Bourne (AUS): 10’07”
3. Ma Zhengtong (CHN): 11’08”
4. Ou Jia Jing (CHN): 11’14”
5. Guo Xiang Long (CHN): 12’37”
1. Suzy Walsham (AUS): 11’52”
2. Gan Xue (CHN): 12’32”
3. Fan Feng Juan (CHN): 13’07”
4. Cristina Bonacina (ITA): 14’34”
5. Cindy Reid (AUS): 15’03”
Vertical World Circuit Ranking (extract)
1. Piotr Lobodzinski (POL)
2. David Robles Tapia (ESP)
3. Norbert Lechner (AUT)
4. Mark Bourne (AUS)
5. Emanuele Manzi (ITA)
1. Suzy Walsham (AUS)
2. Cristina Bonacina (ITA)
3. Cindy Reid (AUS)
4. Lenka Svabikova (CZE)
5. Elodie Bernascon (FRA)
Official Event Website: www.chinaverticalrun.com
- Beijing is back! Lobodzinski and Walsham head the line-up
- It's a home win for Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne in Australia
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Sydney
- ‘SHKP Vertical Run for Charity’ - new developments and benefits presented
- Victory at VertiGo for Lobodzinski & Svabikova
- Lobodzinski & Walsham win Taipei 101
- VWC heads for Taipei 101
- Majcen and Reid Climb to Victory at Hanoi Vertical Run
- Vertical World Circuit heads to Hanoi Exhibition Race
- Top skyscraper racers ascend London’s Tower 42
- It's a Vertical Rush up Tower 42
- Riedl and Walsham winners in New York
- 2015 Vertical World Circuit announced
- Walsham & Lobodzinski world champions at Hong Kong final
- Skyscraper racers head for VWC grand finale
- Walsham and Bourne fly in Shanghai
- Victory goes to Lobodzinski and Hahner in Brazil's Corrida Vertical
- Western China’s tallest tower race - Dold and Xue winners
- Walsham and Lobodzinski winners in Beijing
- Beijing is back - China World Summit Wing
- Men’s record falls in Benidorm - siblings Llorens winners
- VertiGO victory for Walsham and Lobodzinski - records tumble
- Ready for VertiGO?
- Taipei 101 – Bourne and Belotti repeat last year’s win
- VWC heads for Taipei
- Walsham takes fifth NY win - Norwegian Ludvigsen wins men's title
- 2014 VWC announced
- Australians Walsham and Bourne are VWC World Champions
- Countdown to VWC final on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- Suzy Walsham & Mark Bourne winners in Singapore
- Vertical World Circuit heads for Singapore
- VWC final announced on Hong Kong’s ICC Tower
- World Champions win 2nd Hanoi Vertical Run
- Star-studded Hanoi Vertical Run
- Dold and Walsham triumph on Beijing’s tallest tower
- World class line-up for Beijing’s first tower race
- Bourne and Belotti winners at Taipei
- Walsham and Lobodzinski Basel winners
- VWC - New York victory is all-Australian
- New York kicks off 2013 Vertical World Circuit